Published on

Parishioners bid farewell to beloved church

  st peters

It was an emotional day for the hundreds of parishioners who attended the last mass held at St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church at 748 Keewatin.

The church building, which stood at its Keewatin address for the last 40 years, is being decommissioned, or withdrawn from service as a church. Most Reverend Archbishop Richard Gagnon from the Archdiocese of Winnipeg was invited to preside over the decommissioning mass and rites on April 2, together with Msgr. Enrique Samson, Jr. and Fr. Honesto Durango.

“Decommissioning happens when a ministry or a service, or a mission comes to an end,” Archbishop Gagnon said. “We don’t have a lot of these in our archdiocese and it only happens once in a while, so this is really an important occasion.”

St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church is a church complex whose roots go back to 1949. The War had just ended, and people were looking to rebuild their lives and rekindle their faith. It was then a group of women thought of building a small church, with the help of a priest. As the congregation grew from about 80 families in 1949 to over 1,100 in 1975, a new church building was finally constructed and blessed on May 4, 1975.

Long-time parishioner Josie Concepcion became teary-eyed thinking about St. Peter’s church and how it was a very important part of her and her family’s life for the last 40 years. She keeps a plate memento from 1975 commemorating the move “from Old St. Peter’s to New St. Peter’s.”

St. Peter’s Church no doubt has become an integral part of the lives of the faithful. From christenings, to baptisms, catechism classes, first communions, weddings, blessing and praying for the sick, to funerals, St. Peter’s has been a beacon of light, of hope and of love for a community of believers.

St. Peter’s Church is much more than a blessed building that is a familiar sight when passing by Keewatin St.

As thousands of parishioners bid farewell to the church building on Keewatin, St. Peter’s will continue its ministries and services at Petrus Hall at 2624 Inkster Boulevard, while the actual church is anticipated to be built in the next few years.

For more information about St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church, you can visit their website at www.stpeterrcchurch.ca.

By Lucille Nolasco-Garrido