L-r: Judy Wasylycia-Leis, MP for Winnipeg North and Co-Chair of the newly formed Canada-Philippines Parliamentary Friendship Group with the Philippines Ambassador to Canada Jose S. Brillantes and visiting congresswomen from the Philippines, Reylina Nicolas and Mitos Magsaysay
MP for Winnipeg North, Judy Wasylycia-Leis said in a press release, “In this year of historical milestones and significant anniversaries, it is only fitting that the Canada-Philippines Parliamentary Friendship Group has been firmly established and the ties that bind our two nations enormously strengthened.”
During the inaugural meeting of the parliamentary group on May 12, Philippines Ambassador to Canada, Jose Brillantes, said that relations between the Philippines and Canada started over a century ago with the establishment of a Sunlife of Canada branch in Manila in 1896, ripening into diplomatic relations in 1949, with the RP opening its Embassy in Ottawa in 1971 and Canada upgrading its consular operations in Manila to an embassy in 1972.
More Articles ...
- Lawyer suspended, charged
- 50 years of Filipino immigration to Manitoba
- New forum for Canada-Philippines relations
- Miss Philippines Earth 2009
- CEC hosts gala fundraiser for ethno-cultural and aboriginal youth
- Manitoba monitoring swine influenza
- Philippine fiesta spirit at NRC in downtown Winnipeg
- Pacquiao vs. Hatton countdown begins
- 2009 Pinoy Pop Star - Oh, what a night!
- Pinoy Pop Star Grand Finals