WINNIPEG – The Filipino community in Winnipeg joined millions of Filipino expatriates around the world in commemorating the 111th anniversary of Philippine Independence from the Spanish colonizers. The community also celebrates the 50th anniversary of Filipino immigration to Manitoba.
The Philippine Heritage Council of Manitoba (PHCM) spearheads the various activities to celebrate these two significant events. Perla Javate, PHCM president, said that, “This year, we reflect on our journey through the 50 years. We left the Philippines to take advantage of better opportunities for our families. We packed our bags… and journeyed to unfamiliar grounds. We bravely faced the challenges and conquered them one by one. Today, we are now peaceful and happy in our new home in Winnipeg, Manitoba. We can say too, we are heroes.”
More Articles ...
- Manitobans rally for local TV
- Sixty years of Canada-Philippines diplomatic relations
- Lawyer suspended, charged
- 50 years of Filipino immigration to Manitoba
- New forum for Canada-Philippines relations
- Miss Philippines Earth 2009
- CEC hosts gala fundraiser for ethno-cultural and aboriginal youth
- Manitoba monitoring swine influenza
- Philippine fiesta spirit at NRC in downtown Winnipeg
- Pacquiao vs. Hatton countdown begins