Pinay Trailblazers 2020
Celebrate Filipino women in Manitoba
The search for Pinay Trailblazers 2020 is over. Pinays MB is pleased to announce that four outstanding Filipino women have been selected; they will be honoured during the annual Pinays MB Recognition Brunch on March 7 to commemorate International Women’s Day 2020. These amazing Filipino women are being recognized for their outstanding achievements that have made a positive difference in our community in Manitoba, and their accomplishments that have contributed to empowering women.
The Pinays MB Trailblazers 2020, in alphabetical order, are:
- DR. JANILYN ARSENIO – For her outstanding achievements in Science, specifically in the field of Immunology Research. To simplify, her research study tries to understand what is happening to the immune system in terms of responding to infectious and non-infectious diseases, as well as in cancer, auto-immunity, and transplantation; and how immune cells respond to infectious & chronic inflammation.
- SALLY BADER – For her exceptional Volunteerism and outstanding contributions to our community, and also to the Winnipeg community at large, in serving others. She has been working with tireless devotion and wonderful energy as she gives back to the community while making a difference in people’s lives. This dedicated volunteer has quietly given her priceless gift of time to those in need over the past 37 years.
- IRENE MESTITO-DAO – For her outstanding achievement in the field of Optometry and her tireless volunteer work for our community and the global community. She is the first Filipino Optometrist in Manitoba. She is not only the first female but also the first Filipino to be given the award of “Optometrist of the Year” from the Manitoba Association of Optometry in 2013.
- MARJORIE SOLDEVILLA – For her outstanding contributions in Social Services and Social Justice. Marjorie’s career in the field of Social Services, and her passion for Social Justice through community volunteerism, has spanned 27 years. Her work at the International Centre of Winnipeg, has allowed Marjorie to help newcomers and refugees settle in our community. Aside from meaningful contributions at work, Marjorie has various community volunteer involvements.
Pinays MB celebrates women who have made outstanding contributions to the Philippine community and the mainstream community. Its other goals include providing support to Filipino women through confidence building, leadership and communication training, and participation in organized activities.
Since 2016, every month of March, which is International Women’s Month, Pinays MB holds its annual recognition event. Here, Filipino women who have made an invaluable contribution to their respective fields are honoured and celebrated; women who have made a lasting impact in the community and in the lives of others.
Among past awardees were:
- In March 2016, the late Mrs. Carolina Custodio who was instrumental in bringing groups of garment workers from the Philippines to Manitoba in 1960 and also took the lead in assisting them to make a smooth transition to life in Canada; and Mrs. Fe Ryder, now a retired nurse, who was one of the first five nurses to settle in Winnipeg in 1959.
- In March 2017, the late Mrs. Rosalinda Cantiveros – a respected community leader who initially made her mark in the field of journalism; Mrs. Erlinda Magnaye-Ramos– an entrepreneur who established Manitoba’s first Filipino-owned bakery in 1971; and the Garment Workers Batch 1968 – a group of young and courageous Filipino women who left the Philippines in the mid-1960s to seek a better future overseas.
- In March 2018, three Pinay Trailblazers were recognized for their accomplishments and impact in the community and lives of others. Among them is Nena Joy Lazo – for her achievements in the field of performing arts and for her advocacy in volunteerism and mentorship; MLA Flor Marcelino – for her achievements in the field of politics and outstanding community service; and Emmie Joaquin – for her achievements in the field of radio broadcasting and outstanding community service.
- In March 2019, the organization recognized three Pinay Trailblazers: Loizza Aquino – for her outstanding leadership and advocacy for Mental Health; Melody Balane – for her outstanding achievement in Sports; and Ma-Anne Dionisio – for her achievements in the field of Performing Arts.
Join Pinays MB in celebrating achievements of Filipino women and honouring our Pinay Trailblazers 2020 on Saturday, March 7, from 11 am to 2 pm at CanadInns Destination Centre, Polo Park, 1405 St. Matthews Ave. Brunch ticket is $30. For tickets, call Connie at 204-229-0177 or Celi at 204-223-9683.