Fil-Cans in the Canada Summer Games
by Lucille Nolasco
Swimmer Tia Cummins & Lucille Nolasco
Swimmer Jaerrod Dela Cruz
The 50th Canada Summer Games in Winnipeg was a tremendous success! Held from July 28 to August 13, locals and visitors alike soaked in the hottest sports events and impressive entertainment in and around the city.
Making Manitobans proud were our home-grown young athletes such as Filipino-Canadians Shawn Maranan, 17; Tia Cummins -13; and Jaerod Dela Cruz, 16.
Maranan’s U17 Men’s Basketball Team took their heart and hard work to the court and finished 5th overall. While Cummins and Dela Cruz faced tough competition, they swam their personal bests in their respective swim events.
This year, Team ‘Toba has set a team record at the Canada Summer Games with a total medal haul of 41 – nine gold, 15 silver, and 17 bronze.
Congratulations, Team Manitoba!
The Canada Games is a high-level multi-sport event with a National Artists Program held every two years in Canada, alternating between the Canada Winter Games and the Canada Summer Games.
More Articles ...
- Shawn Maranan sets pace for Team Manitoba
- Neepawa Filipino Basketball League Championship Games
- Philippine Basketball Association finals
- Golfing for charity
- Nilo Moncal South Saskatchewan Chess Championship
- First Annual Villamor Friendship Tournament
- DMCI volleyball teams retain city titles
- 25 years of IKAW basketball
- Golfers raise P200,000 for charity
- NABA Tournament 2016