Educating our educators
by Judianne Jayme
On December 3, 2016, the Manitoba Association of Filipino Teachers, Inc. (MAFTI) hosted an event with the intent of providing career development for educators. The event took place at the Seven Oaks Adult Learning Centre, 950 Jefferson Ave.
The room was filled with 75 internationally trained teachers planning to become teachers, teacher assistants or educational assistants in Winnipeg. Moderators Mary Jane Napolitano (MAFTI Chair on Professional Development) and Ernesto Ofiaza Jr. (MAFTI President) introduced the panellists for the evening:
- Lorelei Bunkowsky - Principal, Amber Trails Community School
- Gemma Dalayoan - former Vice Principal of Sisler High School and MAFTI Past President
- Charles Bendu - Vice Principal, Transcona School Division
- Joanne Bañares Esteban - HRIS/Staffing Advisor, Winnipeg School Division
- Praveen Alahakoon - Academic Advisor, Immigrant Teacher Education Program
- Loreta Genota – Teacher, Shaughnessy Park School
- Navjeet Kambo - Learning Support Staff, Amber Trails Community School
The group discussed topics such as the qualification recognition process for international degrees, the hiring process in various school divisions, and what other career pathways are available for internationally qualified educators. Panellists also shared their personal success stories and challenges that they have faced as educators in Manitoba. There was also opportunity for questions, answers, and networking over lunch.
Congratulations to MAFTI for a successful event that provides opportunity for growth for our educators.
Photos by Seven Oaks Immigrant Services, Jasmin Masangcay
More Articles ...
- Bamboo in Winnipeg
- T.G.I. Oktoberfest launch
- Louisa Marshall’s Tina Turner Tribute coming to Winnipeg
- Together flying high
- Alden and Rocco heat up Bae in the City Canada Tour 2016
- Ma-Anne Dionisio takes on new role
- One Magical Night
- Cristy Per Minute • Mayo 16-31, 2017
- Cristy Per Minute • Mayo 1-15, 2017
- Cristy Per Minute • Abril 16-30, 2017