L-r: Christopher Santos, Member; Dante Aviso, Auditor; Lou Fernandez, Treasurer; Virginia Gayot, President; Gigi Gacula, Member; Lucille Nolasco-Garrido, Member; Maria Harper, Assistant Treasurer; Rodrigo Lopez, Member, and Atty. Efren Cabrerea, Member. Photo by Rey-Ar Reyes
There are about a million people of Filipino descent living in Canada today – 960,000 according to the 2021 census. About 100,000 of them now live in Manitoba (94,000 in 2021), making up 7.4 per cent of the province’s population.
At present, there are many Filipino groups and organizations operating in the province, of which the Philippine Canadian Centre of Manitoba (PCCM) serves as an umbrella organization in keeping their traditions, customs, values, and identity, remain strong even far from the motherland.
More Articles ...
- Fil-Canadian artist recreates statue of beloved saint
- Paul Ong’s concert raises $46,564 for music education
- ASEAN’s healthcare brain drain
- New funding for seniors housing programs
- Philippines faces shortage of nurses
- Philippines working to stop human trafficking
- Snow sculptor cheers up Winnipeg winter
- The Philippines’ new ambassador to Canada
- People Power Revolution commemorated under Marcos Jr.’s presidency
- Recruitment of Philippine nurses gains momentum