Pacquiao against anti-discrimination bill
Boxing champ blames murder victim
Senator Manny Pacquiao
Philippines’ Senator Manny Pacquiao cited the Bible and accused a 2014 murder victim of fraud while arguing against an anti-sexual harassment bill during a senate session on Monday, February 13.
Senator Risa Hontiveros was defending Senate Bill No. 1271 or the Anti-Discrimination Act, which seeks to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity or expression (SOGIE), when Pacquiao argued that cross-dressing can be used to “commit fraud.” He cited the case of Jennifer Laude, a transgender Filipino woman, who was killed in 2014 by U.S. Marine Lance Corporal Joseph Scott Pemberton. Pacquiao alleged that the court had downgraded the case against Pemberton from murder to homicide because Laude did not tell Pemberton she was physically a male.
More Articles ...
- Running barefoot on Roxas Boulevard
- Kevin Chief appointed Vice President of the Business Council of Manitoba
- Trudeau in Winnipeg
- Pia crowns new Miss Universe
- Diversity is our strength
- A purpose-driven talent
- Stronger ties
- Nominate a deserving Pinay
- Death penalty debate in the Philippines
- Aiza Luna wins Pinoy Pop Star